Thursday, October 13, 2005

A Longing For Something Greater

You ever long for something deeper? You taste it every time you disappear from a harsh winter storm into glades alone in fresh powder on skis. The fragrance and the solitude of the pines bring you into a world away from everyone else ... a world closer to something you've been longing for. You taste it when a freezing, violent mountain stream beckons you to join it - and you do. You feel it and are drawn to it directly inside a powerful storm displaying its incredible power through wind, lightning, hail, and deep echoeing thunder. You are reminded of it on a cold winter night when the wind and snow howls outside your tent. You feel a great storm coming on inside of you staring at the Grand Teton as she stares back and dares you to climb her tempermental flanks. The desire reveals itself among the deepest friends whom you are willing to share everything for all time -- hold nothing back -- and to fight with as brothers and sisters in the greatest of wars. And You see it in the heart and the eyes of a woman - especially those that are free - if you dare to dig deep. What is it? You desire to be alone and yet at other times together with the greatest of friends. You see it in the dangerous yet beautiful places (do you really think we long for safety?) Sometimes we supress the desire in in the business our daily lives yet we truly wish for it as it beckons us into something greater. It asks so much of us -- our lives -- in its pursuit. But what is it - where is this desire satisfied. God - I begin to realize that my desire is for you. Everything I see around me that gives me this taste really beckons me to join you in the most adventurous, most dangerous, most intimate relationship with you. I know deep down that the taste I see around me is not even close to enough! - you want me to join you in the world you've created for me. I want to know you and be known completely by you down to my very core. When I walk down to Lake Superior and touch the surface of the water and it beckons me to join it, it's now as if it is really beckoning me to join you through it. You invite me to experience you in the swift Flathead River on a sunny day when I'm alone with you. And when I'm enveloped in a storm in the Gallatin Valley with winds that seem like they'll carry me away, hail that piles up faster than snow, lightning so close I feel like I'll be it's next target, and thunder so loud I've just missed being its target, God I want to join you - I want to be swept up into the clouds to be part of something so incredibly beyond my control. I long to have my desire to be satisfied in you. But simply a taste is not enough!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home